Monday, October 11, 2010

Advanced CG Week 4

This week was spent finalizing the character model and working on the rig. My main drawbacks were trying to figure how how I should connect the appendages to their respective body parts. Its a hassle trying to get the weight painting the joints so that various parts don't clip through themselves. Right now, the entire character is one single mesh, and I intend on applying different shaders to different parts of the mesh.


Above is a t-pose of my character with the joints in place and aligned properly. It is ready to have control curves be put into place and skin weights painted on the mesh.

On top of this base mesh I will put displacement and normal maps onto it to add detail to the clothing, such as ripples in the clock and creases in the gloves and boots.


The goal of the character design was to have exaggerated proportion, so his feet and and hands are enlarged, as well as the head. Currently I am working on styling the hair, and creating a scarf.


Pictured above is a picture of what will be holding the sword the main character is seeking. Behind it will be a mechanism that will react to the sword being taken from its proper place. It won't be quite as difficult to create, as I won't be relying on displacement maps in ZBrush to make it look good. It'll consist mostly of gears and concentric circles.


Lastly, here are several experiments in hair styling using shave and a haircut. It's my first time messing with it, so I've got some more learning to do, and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or not. Right now it looks pretty bad, and won't render in anything but white. Also I'm unsure how well it will animate, so I'll be uploading some tests on that in the near future. If I can't get the look right I'll just end up making poly hair and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment